I have been in the midst of a creative drought lately and haven’t had much time to create art. I was inspired by July’s dessert theme at www.skineart.com and I couldn’t resist creating a few raspberries, one of my favorite summer treats.
I used watercolor for this illustration in an effort to sharpen my skills. I am new to this medium and I have a lot to learn. I used a different approach on this piece in that I painted the darkest areas first and layered the lightest colors last. It was difficult to do with the tiny cells of the raspberries, and I found that I lost some of the sharpness of the dark areas as I progressed, so I ended up adding in a few dark areas at the end. The more I worked, the muddier it got, so I decided to quit while there was still some brightness to the image, even though I was not thrilled with the end result.
In an effort to learn more about how watercolors blend, I limited the color palette to 2 colors, Alizarin Crimson and Thalo Blue. I was thrilled with the range of colors I was able to achieve with just these 2 colors. I am looking forward to experimenting more with this.
This was my first illustration in the new A4 sized Moleskine Watercolor Journal and I was quite pleased with the paper. It performed just like the smaller versions with one exception, the paper seemed to buckle a little bit more. I think this is more an issue of physics than a change in paper quality. The larger paper is the same thickness as the paper in the smaller journal, but because of it’s size, it feels less stiff. There was no more buckling than you would find with traditional watercolor paper, so I don’t consider it a problem.